Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Enter Plaguebearer

Soooooooo, I was pretty hooked into miniature painting, even though my zombies were simple models, simply painted with bad paints and bad brushes. But the seed was planted. I think I attended a few more 40k games and obsessed over GW's site quite a bit before splurging and getting the 40k rulebook, the Chaos Daemons codex, and a shiny set of dice.

Soon after acquiring these things I got my first GW models: the Plaguebearers of Nurgle Command box (5 models). Boy, was I excited. They are very cool models. I also got a handful of Vallejo Game Color paints in the nastiest green and brown hues I could find. I got a decent set of fine detail brushes from Hobby Lobby. And then I went at it! My first good paint job! I must give credit to the tutorial "Goatboy's Quick n Dirty Painting: Plaguebearers" as it did form the basis of this paint job, though I didn't use the same colors. These were heavily drybrushed building up from a base of Scorched Brown to either Snot Green or Bubonic Brown. As far as details, they were given Blood Red eyes, and Scorpion Green slime coming from their "pus factories," as I aptly named them. Enjoy!

First one finished, as he is the leader of the squad.

I was proud of myself for attempting to highlight the slime on the Icon.

Nothing really outstanding here, but solid.

I went in more recently and redid the teeth and tongues on these guys, since I've gotten a bit better with tiny details.

I like the basic blending on the sword (done by drybrushing). I had to retouch this up recently, but this is very similar to the original effect (perhaps a little cleaner).

"Pus factories."
Just thought this guy's spine was cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment